Please look around and continue visiting my blog so that I can keep you up to date about everything having to do with my serving in Tanzania ! Feel free to email me with questions and please keep me in your prayers!
Matthew Sroka

Friday, May 7, 2010

so what about HIV

We all know HIV is a growing, global issue. Worldwide, the number of people living with HIV has risen from around 8 million in 1990 to 33 million today, and is still growing. Around 67% of people living with HIV are in sub-Saharan Africa. This tragic virus, yes a VIRUS. Normally, when you and I contract a virus, our immune system will fight it off. However, the HIV virus attacks the human immune system itself, the very thing that would normally get rid of a virus.
This epidemic has created a unique situation in regards to orphans and education. Africa has over 14 million AIDS orphans. AIDS is creating a tragedy of momentuous proportions all across Tanzania. There are today more than 1,100,000 orphans, in Tanzania, the vast majority of whom have no hope of ever going to school.
I am a nurse, alot of you know. I see patients with HIV/AIDS more OFTEN than you would think. Sometimes its shocking. In Tanzania, I imagine it will become less shocking, and more the norm. Village Schools has joined with Tanzania providing HIV testing and anti-retrovirals. See what they've been doing....

No comments: